Monday, December 21, 2009

The Zocalo!

After waking up to turkeys and church bells, we had a nice breakfast, still had no luggage, so we borrowed some more clothes form Tanya and headed off downtown to the zocalo. The zocalo is the town square. It is huge! In the center was a very large fountain and gazebo that is then surrounded by hundreds of poinsettias, or in Spanish the noche buenas. There are benches to sit, little stands to get your shoes shined, a beautiful nativity scene, a huge band setup, all surrounded by shops on all sides.

Throughout all this, set up on the ground or little tables or just walking around are vendors of all ages, from about 5 years old to at least 90 I am sure. You can buy just about anything, candy, scarves, table napkins, spoons, jewelry of all kind, you name it, I am sure someone was selling it.

We went to visit the Palacio de Gobierno. It is the old town hall that has been converted into a museum. There was a beautiful set up of dragon art, amazing nativity scenes, a huge mural depicting the struggles of Oaxaca and the largest tortilla in the world! Quite amazing.

After the museum, we went walking around downtown. I have tried to think of how to describe it, picture would be best, I'll try to post some soon. But think of old Montreal style shops that open off right on the street, but with a random abandonment feeling, and of course street vendors set up on the sidewalk with anything you could possibly want. We bought some churros and orananges and a banana right off the street (they were amazing). We went to the market, which is like a huge marche au puce it was amazing.

After the market we went to the church Virgin de Solidad it was full of people celebrating. Off to the museum, very nice, and again through the market surrounding the church.

Phew, getting tired now, so we went off to the zocalo again for a break. Well, even while you are sitting on the terrace street vendors come right up to you to sell their merchandise. You don't even have to get up, you could do all your shopping just sitting there! It was wonderful! I love it!

After our beautiful day strolling the market, we headed to the grocery store for some supplies then off home to relax a bit before dinner. Great news, the luggage has been delivered!

I slept so deeply I didn't even hear the turkeys this morning! We are off to Monte Alban and Santa Maria Atzompa today, and guess what the sun has come out! It is going to be a beautiful day :)

xxx
Angie & Ayla

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you I almost need a nap after just reading about it, You and Ayla, Tanya and Ralph are going to be able to run with Rod&Serena in the marathon next year. The weather must be fantastic. Steve

    ReplyDelete