Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Wednesday Etla market

Today we were off to Etla to visit their weekly Wednesday market. Every little town has their market on a different day of the week, and in Etla, they are known for selling everything from chickens to clothes to fruits and vegetables.

Upon arriving we are overwhelmed with the grandness of the market. All that the tour books have told us about this market is true. Hundreds of vendors are set up selling everything you can imagine. Live turkeys, hardware, clothes (used & new), shoes, fruits and vegetables, meat (hanging off sticks or strung up cords - pig heads & feet), music, candy, underwear, spices, nuts, and tons more! The vendors called out their merchandise and prices as you walked by, creating a chaotic but lively amtosphere. I was so impressed with the vegetable markets set up all along the stairs of this one building that I went to take a picture. Not such a good idea. One of the locals was very mad and threw some vegetable at me...so I mumbled my sorries and quickly moved along!

Luis and Alison loved the market and Luis was making Alison try tons of the street foods! Very courageous. Tanya is already trying to rearrange her work schedule so that she can be sure to shop there every Wednesday.

We headed back to the zocalo for a late lunch, bid Alison and Luis safe travels as they headed back to Mexico City and walked back to the car. I finally bought my pink pig basket! (I have been eyeing them since we got here, and decided, I absolutely needed one!) And we headed home.

Tonight we are off to dinner and tomorrow...our last day of visiting :(

Missing you all, but will definitely miss Tanya and Ralph & Oaxaca!
xxx
A

No comments:

Post a Comment