Monday, December 28, 2009

San Antonio Arrazola & San Martin Tilcajete - My favorite, alebrijes


Let me tell you, for the past week I have seen these little alebrijes in the markets and have been dying to buy some. Tanya kept telling me, wait, wait, we are going to the villages that make them. Today was the day! Woohooo! I was so excited.

First we went to San Antonio Arrazola. We came across a sign announcing the home of a particular artisan, so we walked in and the owner greeted us very warmly. He showed us his display area then his work shop area and even brought us through his garden to see the tree that they use to create these beautiful works of art. We headed off to see more artisan shops. They all had beautiful pieces. The peacocks were amazing. But they were all very large, and quite pricey. So after purchasing 2 little snails, off we went to the next town.

San Martin Tilcajete was amazing! The first store we stopped into I bought about 12 pieces! I was in heaven. The lady thought I was pretty funny with all of the little pieces I was buying. She wrapped each one carefully for me and off we went to the next store, where I bought more! And then the next store, where I bought even more! Ayla kept telling me, "Mom! How many do you need?" Ha, ha! What can I say. After a few more store we were ready to head back :)

Home again. We are waiting for Alison & Luis (Ralph's daughter and son-in-law) to arrive and then we are heading down to the zocalo.

Missing you all!
xxxx
Angie

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like i miss quite amazing trip. Hope Alicen and her fianace are ready for that big hill to climb near Tan's. How long are they staying. Does he come from that part of Mexico? Well my love sound's like you and Ayla are having a fantistic time. Miss love you Mom.xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still having a good time, eh, just one question, "What is an alebrijes".bye for now Love Steve xOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. An alebrijes is a wooden carved figure...I love them! Got one for you guys :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete